Humboldt Tourism Flight 2017
PROGRAM UNDER DEVELOPMENT -- APPLICATIONS OPENING SOON
Do you have or want to start a business that thrives thanks to Humboldt County’s nature, heritage, culture, and famous industries?
- Use the best practices of geotourism and industry based tourism in your business.
- Learn and network with a group of entrepreneurs facing the same challenges.
- Build sound fundamentals with Business Basics workshops—finances, bookkeeping, marketing, and planning.
- Access an exclusive Q&A panel featuring Humboldt’s geotourism and industry-based tourism rock stars.
- Pitch your idea, get feedback from, and then schmooze at your graduation party with industry experts who are there just for you.
Q & A
Prospective participants ask questions, fill out application & scholarship forms.
Concepts and best practices in geotourism and industry-based tourism. Sneak peek into Humboldt’s tourism future with industry leaders and analysts. Team-building. (2 hrs, $100)
Pre-startup participants take four required Business Basics workshops. Workshops are optional for participants with existing businesses. Workshops will repeat each month, so you’ll have two chances.
* Planning for Success (2 hrs, $30)
* Financing Your Business (2 hrs, $30)
* Thinking Like a Marketer (2 hrs, $30)
* Books and Records (2 hrs, $30)
Regulations & Liabilities
Tourism industry laws, regulations, insurance, and all things “risk management”. (2 hrs, $100)
Tourism Panel Q & A
Meet and have a facilitated discussion with the region’s geotourism and industry-based tourism rock stars.
Fast Pitch & Graduation
Pitch your business idea to a friendly audience of industry experts and rock stars. Get your graduation certificate and party tickets when you’re done! (No cost)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a flight?
A North Coast SBDC Flight is a learning program that runs over several weeks or months. Flights are designed around the needs of specific industries, like tourism, artists and craftspeople, food trucks, child care providers, etc.
Is this for me?
If you’re a small business owner—or want to be: yes. Most flight participants are entrepreneurs working to start up a new business. Second-most common are owners of existing small businesses who want to grow an existing product/service line, or expand to reach new customers.
How will I benefit?
You’ll get three experiences in one: workshops, one-on-one advising with an experienced consultant, and team building with others in your industry. At the end of the program you’ll have a solid business plan, more know-how, and supportive relationships with SBDC advisors and classmates that last long past the final session. Past participants include several businesses that are now famous and thriving in Humboldt County.
What does it cost?
One on one business advising is no-cost for everyone. Workshop fees range from $0 to $100, depending on the topic and your scholarship eligibility.
For income-qualified participants, the entire program is provided at no cost, thanks to special funding.
For participants who don’t qualify for the no-cost program, North Coast SBDC makes a limited number of workshop scholarships available.
Participants who don’t qualify for aid are also welcome. Workshop fees are listed at right.
If I join in, what do I have to do?
- Apply to see if you’re eligible to join this flight
- Fill out the confidential income eligibility form to see if your expenses can be covered
- Complete your first business advising intake meeting before the workshops begin.
- Attend all required workshops, and as many optional workshops as possible.
- Meet with your business advisor about once a month
- Complete a business plan by the end of the program
- Make a short pitch to a friendly audience on the last day.